Healthy Puerto Rican Oatmeal Recipe: Avena de Coco
If you’re Puerto Rican, you know there is nothing more comforting that a nice warm bowl of avena de coco (coconut oatmeal) in the morning. That’s more than likely why you’re here! 😉
My mom grew up in Puerto Rico, so we ate this often. The problem is that a regular bowl of Puerto Rican oatmeal can cost you a whole lot of calories and sugar.
No worries, though- that is exactly why I’ve come up with a healthy coconut oatmeal recipe for clean eating that is the perfect alternative to traditional avena de coco.
My mom helped me with this recipe so we could keep the Puerto Rican style!
You can literally have this every morning if you wanted to.
Making Healthy Puerto Rican Oatmeal (Coconut Oatmeal)
Organic Coconut Sugar: Non-GMO, Low-Glycemic Sweetener
What makes this healthy coconut oatmeal great for clean eating, unlike the traditional Puerto Rican recipe, is that we are replacing the bad ingredients with clean ones.
The main ingredients in regular Puerto Rican oatmeal are regular milk, cream of coconut and lots of awful-for-you-table-sugar.
In this recipe we use full fat coconut milk instead of regular milk & cream of coconut.
But the biggest key here is using coconut sugar instead of table sugar.
Unlike table sugar, coconut sugar is unrefined, maintaining all the nutritional elements that are frequently destroyed during industrial processing.
Derived from the sap of the coconut palm tree, coconut sugar boasts many of the same health-promoting properties as other coconut products.
This mineral-rich sweetener is the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth with no guilty consequence.
Healthy Puerto Rican Oatmeal Recipe
Healthy Puerto Rican Oatmeal Ingredients
- 4-5C unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon or to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2C organic rolled oats (same oats you use for regular oatmeal)
Healthy Avena de Coco Directions
- Boil coconut milk (Add an extra cup of coconut milk if you like a creamier oatmeal. I like mine on the thicker side.)
- Add everything but oats, stir to mix well
- Add rolled oats
- Cook until done and cover
- Let sit until it thickens
- You can also top with coconut flakes and/or cinnamon sticks
Printable Avena de Coco Recipe Card
Healthy Puerto Rican Oatmeal: Avena de Coco Recipe
- 4-5 Cups Unsweetened Coconut Milk (5C if you like it creamy, 4C if you like it on the dry side)
- 1/4 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 2 Cups Organic Rolled Oats
Boil coconut milk
Add everything but the oats, stir to mix well
Add rolled oats
Cook until done and cover
Let sit until it thickens
There you have it, the perfect hearty breakfast for cold mornings!
Healthy Puerto Rican Oatmeal Nutritional Facts
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Values *|
|Total Fat 10.9g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||40%|
|Total Carbohydrate 35.4g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.3g||15%|
|Total Sugars 7.9g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
21 Day Fix Equivalents
- Servings: 6
- Containers: 1 yellow if you go buy Autumn saying less than 8oz of coconut or almond milk is free, 2 yellows if you don’t.
More Clean Eating Oatmeal Recipes