When we’re in a panic, it’s easiest to stock up on the foods we know last a long time (noodles, canned soup, etc). However, there are healthy long lasting foods to stock up on.
This is the better option because these foods will actually fuel your body and keep your energy high.
And they’re really not that expensive, especially if you scan your receipts with apps that earn you cash back on your shopping like Fetch Rewards (my favorite). You even earn cash back on Amazon orders with those apps! You’re already doing the shopping, so you might as well take the extra minute to scan your receipt and get some money back.
Healthy Long Lasting Foods to Stock Up On
- Protein bars are a super easy way to get a ton of nutrients in through one bar. Protein bars are also known to keep you full and last a longggg time. I love this option because they also cost less than a candy bar while still fulfilling those cravings.
- High energy, dried fruits/trail mix
- Apples last up to two months when stored in a fridge.
- Butternut Squash can last up to six months when stored in a cool, dark place.
- Cabbage lasts 4-5 weeks in the fridge.
- Carrots last up to 4 weeks in the fridge.
- Citrus (lemons, limes, oranges) lasts up to 4 weeks in the fridge and two weeks on the counter.
- Pomegranates last up to two months in the fridge and two weeks in the pantry.
- Garlic lasts up to six months in a cool, dark place.
- Onions can last up to six months.
- Both sweet potatoes and regular potatoes last 2-3 months in a cool, dark place.
- Spaghetti Squash can last up to two months in a cool dark place.
- Canned tuna in water
- Canned salmon
- Black beans
- 100% pure pumpkin
- Canned tomatoes
- Coconut milk
- Canned sardines in water and
- Canned black olives
For canned foods, just be sure to choose the options that have no added salt/low sodium and no added sugars.
Hope this helps!