I’m Colombian, so this is one of my absolute favorites! My husband always makes fun of me because I can eat chimichurri with EVERYTHING!! I can’t help it, it’s in my blood.
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
For the Chimichurri Sauce:
- 2 packed tbsp parsley, finely chopped (no stems)
- 2 packed tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- Using sharp knife, lightly score the steak about 1/8 inch deep on both sides in a crisscross pattern at 1/2-inch intervals.
- In a small bowl combine the cumin, garlic powder, oregano, freshly ground pepper and kosher salt. Season both sides of the steak with the spices.
- For the chimichurri, combine the red onion, vinegar, salt and olive oil and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix all ingredients together. (Note: this tastes best when you chop the onions by hand rather than in a food processor, not sure why but trust me)
- Prepare the grill on high heat. You don’t need an outdoor grill, you can use a stove top grill like this one.
- Grill the steaks to desired doneness, about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, turning steaks 1/4 turn after 1 1/2 minutes to form crisscross grill marks, if desired.
- Transfer steaks to cutting board; let rest 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice steaks across grain.
- Transfer to platter and top with chimichurri sauce.
21 Day Fix:
- 4oz of meat = 1 red
- The sauce is free since veggies are a minimum and there are minimal onions in it