Are you at a loss when it comes to dealing with itchy skin on you or your kids? Or are you trying not to scratch because you want to avoid stretch marks? Then a DIY oatmeal bath is the simplest and best home remedy for you.
Oatmeal baths became a regular thing in my house when I was pregnant with my first son. My skin was so incredibly itchy all of the time and I was constantly scratching my growing stretch marks, no matter how many times I swore I wouldn’t.
My doctor recommend oatmeal baths, so I started buying the Aveeno ones at the drugstore and would look forward to my baths every night.
Then I had my son and we started dealing with all kinds of things like diaper rashes, mosquito bites, dry skin, you name it! So $6 for a few uses quickly became more than I wanted to spend. But, we still didn’t want to give up the oatmeal baths since they work wonders.
For a super low price, we started making our own oatmeal baths and they last forever for less than we had to pay for the drugstore ones.
All you need is:
- A blender or food processor
- Instant oatmeal (unflavored) or quick oats
- Warm water
You can either make it for one bath at a time, which would use 1C of oatmeal, or you can make a bunch in advance and store it in a jar.
I prefer to just make a lot of it in advance because you never know when you will need it. And you don’t want to turn on the blender if you have a sleeping baby at home. Or if you just don’t have the time.
Then I store it in a mason jar and keep it in the bathroom.
- Blend the oats on the highest setting until it turns in to a VERY fine powder. If it’s not as fine as powder, it wont dissolve well.
- To test it, stir one tablespoon of the powdered oats into a glass of warm water. If the oats readily absorb in the water, turning the liquid into a milky-looking substance with a silky feel, you’ve blended long enough.
- Pour 1C of the oatmeal into a tub of running warm water and stir the water with your hands to distribute.
- Soak in the tub for 15-20 minutes. (Be careful getting in and out of the tub, it’ll be more slippery than usual)
- Enjoy the relief!