Puerto Rican pollo guisado was a staple in my house when I was growing up. My mom used to make it all of the time. I don’t know if it was because it was delicious, because it was easy, or because it was an affordable option when she had 5 kids, a husband, and herself to feed!
Regardless, it is an amazing dish that everyone should try!
I have put together a healthy Puerto Rican pollo guisado recipe so we can all enjoy it guilt free!
What You Will Need:
It is important to use the correct alternatives if you truly want a healthier version of pollo guisado. I know, if you’re Puerto Rican, you probably have the Goya sazon & adobo at your house. However, those are full of sodium.
Caldero Dutch OvenSimply Organic AdoboBadia Sazon + Coriander & AnnattoOrganic Low-sodium Chicken BrothSimply Organic Bay Leaf
You will want the healthier version of these. You will also want to make your own sofrito and not buy the store bought sofrito.
Puerto Rican Pollo Guisado Recipe:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon Simply Organic Adobo seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of sofrito
- 1 packet Badia Sazon seasoning with annatto
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- ½ cup carrots, peeled & sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 10-12 pimento stuffed olives
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat a dutch oven (caldero) on medium heat.
- Season the chicken with the Adobo seasoning, then add the olive oil and chicken to the pot. Let the pieces brown for 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside.
- Add the sofrito, Sazon, tomato sauce, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, water, potatoes, carrots, bay leaves and olives into the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then add the chicken back into the pot.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and cook the stew for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Check the stew for seasoning and add a bit more adobo if it needs a bit more salt.
- Sprinkle the stew with the chopped cilantro and stir.
- Serve with rice.
21 Day Fix:
- Makes 4 servings
- Containers: 1 red, 1tsp, 1/4 purple, 1 yellow, 1/4 green, 1/4 orange