These days, more and more people are realizing all of the benefits of eating avocado but there are still a ton of people that think it’ll make them gain weight because of the fat they pack. Avocados have fat, it’s true. The thing is, they have mostly good, unsaturated fat which has lots of heart healthy benefits and avocados are also a good source of fiber which helps manage weight. So let’s break down the reasons why you should be eating more fresh avocado.
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Aguacates Frescos – Saborea Uno Hoy®.
Why You Should Be Eating More Fresh Avocado
First and foremost, what you choose to serve your family for dinner tonight can help manage blood pressure, cholesterol and can also help prevent type 2 diabetes. And if you can reduce those risk factors, you can also help reduce the chances of developing heart disease… which is the #1 killer for all Americans. Not to mention, Hispanics are at an even higher risk. Here are four reason on why to incorporate fresh avocados in to your daily routine.
- The fiber in avocado helps you feel satisfied and full. In return, you have less temptation to snack on unhealthy foods throughout the day. Which, of course, helps manage weight and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Avocados are an easy and nutritious fruit to snack on. A popular recommendation is you shouldn’t go without food for more than 4 hours to help promote weight loss.
- Avocados are sodium free and can be paired with just about any other nutritious food. Since sodium can increase blood pressure, it is recommended to limit your sodium intake- making avocados a smart addition to your diet. One of my favorite things to pair avocado with is salmon. Check out these two heart-healthy recipes that have both salmon and avocado:
Grilled Salmon with Citrus Avocado Salsa
Grilled Salmon Tacos with Avocado Cabbage Carrot Slaw
- Avocados contribute naturally good fats to our diet, are a great substitute for foods high in bad fats and do not raise cholesterol levels.
Check out the Saborea Uno Hoy website for recipes and this post by registered dietitian and Aguacates Frescos – Saborea Uno Hoy® spokesperson Sylvia Meléndez Klinger for tips on heart healthy living with avocados!
Top Tips for Incorporating Avocados in to your Daily Diet
- With nearly 20 vitamins, minerals & phytonutrients per serving (about 1/3 of an avocado), avocados are a good nutrient choice.
- Once cut, squeeze a little lemon juice over the leftovers and stick it in a plastic bag. Try to let as much air out of the bag as possible. Then put it in the refrigerator. Refrigerating avocados, whether cut or uncut, can help them last longer.
- If you go out to eat, ask for a side of avocado.
Now go ahead and fill your kitchen with fresh avocados!