Total time to make: 12-13 minutes
– 4 slices whole-wheat or multi-grain bread
– 4 tablespoons natural unsalted chunky or smooth peanut butter
– 2 tablespoons sugar free grape jam, or your favorite
– 4 egg whites
– 1 tablespoon low fat milk or almond milk
– ½ teaspoon vanilla
– 4 teaspoons reduced-fat butter
1. Spread 1 tablespoon peanut butter on 2 slices of bread. Spread 1 tablespoon preserves on each remaining 2 slices. Put sandwiches together.
2. In a baking dish or mixing bowl, whisk egg whites, milk and vanilla.
3. Place the 2 sandwiches in the dish and let soak on each side.
4. Melt reduced-fat butter in a large nonstick pan over medium heat.
5. Cook sandwiches until golden brown, about 2 -3 minutes on each side.
6. I cut mine in half. You can also cut them in to fourths for french toast sticks.
You can also sprinkle powdered sugar on top, if you’d like.
I added syrup to mine, but this is also optional.